Monday, March 24, 2008

Homeschooling

Caroline is sitting beside me making "letters" with her playdoh. It is a pretty typical morning for us. Both Isaac and Anna Sophia are napping and we are having school time. Usually school time involves playdoh, but not always. Sometimes it involves crayons and paper, markers, or glue and macaroni. Now that she is getting bigger, people are starting to ask me why she isn't in school. She looks like a 4 year old in size and I guess most 4 year olds are in school. I usually tell people that we homeschool and what follows usually is a quizzical look and a question that I am still having trouble answering. "So, you're waiting until kindergarten to put her in school?" Uh, no. I have every intention of homeschooling my children, because traditional school systems do not teach the things I want my children to learn.

In recent story in the New York Post, someone from the Department of Education was lamenting how sex education is not mandatory in all public schools and how in some schools students get 4 or five years of sex ed and in other schools there is no sex ed at all. In fact, this person was advocating that sex ed be taught to the same extent that math or reading is taught and taught in every grade level. So, of course, my first thought was that the school system wants to teach sex ed badly to a first grader?

Here is the direct quote:

"We believe it's time that we treat sex ed as seriously as we treat math or social studies," she said. "Our hope is that every kid will be taught sex ed in every grade every year."

I am not opposed to sex education per se, but I don't the public schools teaching that stuff to my children.

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites