Monday, May 25, 2009

Husband here, posting about the kids.

The fighting among the kids lately has been unpleasant. I think that our living near the arctic circle at the summer solstice has something to do with it; they are waking up at 5:15 every day and are cranky for the rest of the day. This part of moving them to the other bedroom hasn't worked out so well.

I have been known to spank the kids; as he who administers violence, I am on the hook for doing so justly. For the most part, I try to be guided by english common law, and I only spank for common-law crimes. Perjury has been a problem of late. Affray has reared its ugly head a time or two, as have battery and mayhem. Property crimes receive leniency, because they are difficult to adjudicate. At what point does putting a toy down constitute abandonment and lapse of title? (The Wife points out that squatters' rights exist at common law.) If I can't clearly define property interests, it seems unfair to punish the kids for their independent estimates, unless clearly made in bad faith. I leave such matters to equitable, not legal, resolution. Even then, as one of favorite maxims points out, equity is a mean drunk.

In general, though, I am trying to keep the violence to the minimum that is compatible with not raising little hoodlums. However much I dislike spanking and ear-grab-corner-marching, that goal takes precedence. Dura lex, sed lex.

1 comment:

Josee said...

There's been quite a bit of shoulder-squeeze-chair-marching around here lately, too. We had to call in Nana reenforcments last night to prevent any further violence ... good luck to ya!

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

My Favorite Websites