Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is College worth it?

This is interesting.

I think that too many people go to college. There I said it. There are too many people who go to college just because their parents tell them to. They don't like reading and studying, but they go anyway, filling up the classrooms and asking such erudite questions as "is this going to be on the midterm?" College is expensive and it's not necessarily a productive use of time for some people.

I can think of a number of careers where a college degree is unnecessary.

*Business owner
*computer programmer
*chef
*bookkeeper
*carpenter
*plumber (have you paid a plumber lately? do you know how much they make?!!!)
*professional athlete
*mechanic

Many careers do require some training or education, but they don't require a 4 year college degree.

I think the we should focus our efforts on HIGH SCHOOL education. We need to make high school better, not force students to waste more time in school if their 4 years in high school did not yield a solid secondary education. We need to make sure that high schoolers can read and write (I can't believe I'm writing this)and have a solid understanding of math and science.

BTW, I disagree with the article's assertion that we should require colleges to submit their students to testing. We've already done that with high school and now we have found that teachers teach the test and the kids don't learn. Shameful.

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites