Tuesday, April 29, 2008

This is your tax dollars at work (well, if you live in NYC)

And I thought I had it easy. New York City substitute teachers on full pay and not working. Nice.

Changes to the 2005 teachers' contract created nearly 700 substitutes who receive full pay. That agreement will have cost the city $81 million by June, the New Teacher Project report said.

The report also found that substitutes, known as the Absent Teacher Reserve, are less active in seeking jobs and more likely to have been rated poorly.

The report calls for giving nontenured teachers in the ATR three months and tenured teachers one year before they're put on unpaid leave.

UFT President Randi Weingarten said she had warned school officials that if they gave up the power to place teachers into open positions, the ATR pool would grow indefinitely.

"I am so enraged that three years later, they would once again attempt to lay people off," she said.


Lay off people??? You aren't supposed to do that. Jobs are our right, you know!

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites