Sunday, October 01, 2006

cheap toys!

I have been saving oatmeal type cans lately and giving them to Caroline to play with. I cut a small hole in the top and then give her something small to put through the hole. I have given her paper clips, clothespins, and popsicle sticks. She enjoys the challenge of finding the right size hole to put the objects in the can. I know these aren't 'approved' toys for a one and a half year old, but she tires quickly of regular toys. This keeps it interesting. She found a new game to play with the cans tonight. Instead of putting objects in each can, she now likes to stack them.

So save your cans! We will use them to teach Caroline important things like physics (the law of gravity) and mathematics (1 can + 1 can + 1 can + 1 can= a 4 can tower) Different size cans are a plus. She has to figure out which can is the biggest and put it on the bottom. I saw her work through these different variables tonight and it was amazing. At first, she was working on an uneven surface and her tower kept falling. Then she kept putting the biggest can on the top and at times this would cause her tower to fall. She figured out that the big can needs to be on the bottom and the smallest on goes on the top.

Wow.

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

My Favorite Websites