Saturday, August 05, 2006

To buy or not to buy...

A minivan? I've sworn for years that I would never stoop to buying a minivan as a parent. Minivans just aren't cool. I always thought that if I really needed the extra seating, I could just get one of those stylin' SUVs. Of course, now that I am a mom, things are different. An SUV just isn't safe enough for me. I'm not going to do any off-roading any time soon. Certainly not with 2 children under the age of 2. I look at minivans and yearn for the extra space, automatic double sliding doors, captain's chairs, and most of all, safety. I'm quickly learning that our sedan (Hyundai XG350) is not designed for a family. Now that we have 2 car seats in the back and a stroller in the trunk, I'm faced with a number of logistical problems. (1) Where do I put the groceries? There is simply no room left over in the trunk for such things. I've resorted to using the front seat, but I can only fit so much there. (2) What do I do when there's someone riding in the passenger seat? And (3) How in the world am I ever going to buy a 48 pack of toliet paper and 2 economy size boxes of diapers in the same visit to BJs? (4) Where is the double stroller going to go? (5) Where is the dog going to ride the next time we take her on the trip? (6) Where am I going to ride the next time we take the dog on a trip??? Up until now we had been putting the dog in the front passenger seat and I have ridden in the back. Now, however, with 2 car seats, it is just not possible.

Right now, we a casually looking at a few different makes/models of minivan. I think my favorite so far is the Hyundai Entourage. It has been receiving excellent reviews and won NHTSA top safety award. Plus, all the safety features are standard. If you want them in other makes/models, you pay extra. I also like the Honda Odyssey, but it is pricier and, again, you pay extra for the safety features. Who knew that electronic stability control, side curtain airbags and 172 cubic square ft of interior space would be the important factors in deciding what car to buy?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Ellen...Thanks for the laugh! I needed one today :-)
Good luck on minivan shopping.
Aunt Beth

Jax and company said...

We think you should do it. We just finished a mini-economics lesson with the boys, as McDonald's is offering Hummer toys as happy meal prizes this month. We talked about how marketers develop brand loyalty, and about the cost to operate a vehicle, miles per gallon, cost per mile, pollution. But the main point of the lesson was to consider your needs in making a purchase, and to resist pressure from marketers. A family of four (plus pet) taking care to maximize gas mpg while on vacation is different from one person driving a Hummer commuting through traffic on the interstate. If you feel you need the space, do it. A big family requires a bigger vehicle to get around.

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

My Favorite Websites