Saturday, December 06, 2008

Thanksgiving

I started planning for turkey day about a week before Thanksgiving. I planned our menu, recipes, shopping lists and so on. I made about half of our meal the night before and stuck it in the refrigerator (or as Caroline says "Defrigidator") to ease the work load in our tiny kitchen. I will try to post the recipes somewhere on the blog, just in case any one is interested. Anyway, I watched about 5 minutes of the Macy's Day Parade in the morning. I wanted to watch the whole thing, but our morning's can be crazy, so I missed the big parade. I was a little sad about that, but maybe next year I can see the whole thing (maybe I can even go in person!).

We had:

Turkey Stuffing
Crockpot Turkey Breast
Green Bean Casserole (2 kinds)
Cranberry Sauce
Sweet Potato Casserole

This year was the first year I actually cooked turkey. It was not a whole turkey or anything, but it was a 5.5 lb bone-in turkey breast. I was a little nervous about cooking it, because I know nothing about cooking turkeys, so I decided to try cooking it in the crockpot. I rubbed a package of dry onion soup mix over the bird and placed it in the slow cooker. I poured a can of whole-berry cranberry sauce over the top and spread it around evenly. I cooked it on high for 3 hours and then low for about 4 hours. It was juicy and delicious in a way turkey cooked in the oven is not. I really enjoyed it, even.

I made cranberry sauce too. It's a simple recipe, but it was very tasty.



I have some more pictures to share when I get a chance, but for now enjoy my mini-thanksgiving post.

2 comments:

Josee said...

Congratulations on your first turkey! The cranberry sauce sounds yummy. And Happy Birthday to Caroline!!

Anonymous said...

There is no wrong way to cook a turkey. Sounds like you did well. I'll have to keep the crock pot in mind. It appears to be a lot easier and less dangerous than other methods ;)

BTW - love the picture of the cranberries in the pot.

Take care - tell the Mr. I said "Go Utes!"

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

My Favorite Websites