Monday, February 06, 2006

Nesting early this time...

I knitted three hats (okay two, almost finshed with the third though) and I started learning how to crochet. I think that it's a symptom of nesting. I know that it's extremely early to be doing these things , but I have already felt the baby moving. Everyone scoffs at this notion (even doctors), but I know what I'm feeling and it's not gas (like everyone says it is).

The crocheting is turning out to be harder than I thought. I've learned the chain stitch, single crochet, double crochet, and treble crochet. People knit and crochet on the Staten Island Ferry a lot. Of course, I wouldn't be caught trying to make something that looks like a chewed sock in public, so I will have to wait until I am better before taking my crochet with me. The people that crochet in public can seemingly make entire afghans appear before my eyes. It's quite deceptive and after seeing people whip out these beautiful stitches effortlessly, I thought that it would be an excellent hobby to try. Wow. Now I am stuck trying with much effort to remember yarn over twice, insert hook in next stitch, yarn over, loop off, yarn over, loop off, loop off, yarn over, loop off, loop off, yarn over, loop off, loop off. Yikes. This is one stitch, called the treble (or "trouble" if you're me) crochet. Now I am not using the proper terminology, but this is simply how I remember what to do. I'm not giving up though. I've only spent one day learning crochet, so it's bound to get better, right?

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites