Thursday, February 09, 2006

I went to my crochet class last night. It was an excellent way to firm up my "book knowledge" of crochet. That is, I knew how one was supposed to make a single crochet, but I couldn't actually do it reliably. Somehow, the best teachers are people who have actual real world experience as, opposed to books with nice photographs. Next week, I will start working on a baby blanket. Yea!

Caroline went to the doctor today for a checkup. She is doing "well overall", though she is small for her age. Her height was around the 50th percentile and her weight was in the 25th. I suppose I should start feeding her candy and cookies, right? The doc suggested that I make her eat more, but I countered with "I'm below average weight for my height--could it possibly be genetic?" He relented, but added "She is doing well overall." He then told me not to feed her peanut butter before the age of 3. Hmmm. I have lived on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches forever. I mean, I eat one every day or nearly every day. While pregnant with Caroline, I ate quite a few of them and while nursing her, I ate even more. The AAP recommends waiting until age 3 before introducing peanuts. Ha! They also recommend peanut butter as a healthy snack for one-year olds. So which is it? Well, it's controversial. Some say, no peanut butter at all (that means nursing moms cannot eat peanuts or peanut products) and also means no peanuts during pregnancy. Other people say that it's fine after the baby is 12 months as long as there is no history of peanut allergies in the family. Caroline loves her PB&Js, by the way. I know the doctor is just playing it safe, so I don't mind when he says these things. I just do my own research and make my own decisions (I consulted dad on this one).

Caroline brings us books to read to her these days. She will also take pens or pencils and write on any available paper. It actually amazes me how well she holds the pen. She doesn't use a fist; she uses an almost correct pencil hold. She likes crayons too, but tends to eat them.

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites