Monday, January 05, 2009

Choices in education

Caroline is eligible to go to Kindergarten this coming August. Do I send her to school and let the public education system teach her what they feel is important? I really don't like the school environment and I feel it can be harmful to young children.

For example, when I entered kindergarten mid-year at a new school, I was tracked with the "dumb group" as I remember it. We were the group, called the "Apples" (as in bad apples) who couldn't read. I actually could read, but details like that don't matter when teachers don't care enough to find out. I don't know why I remember the name so clearly, but this introduction to my education is something that I will never forget.

I was also left-handed, which meant that I could not write well, as the teachers were always correcting me by putting the pencil in my right hand. And then telling me I was writing badly. Gee, thanks.

Throughout my education, this black mark has followed me as if to remind me that I'm somehow inadequate or belong in the slow group.

I'm constantly encountering the pressure from others to put Caroline in school. I'm considering it, but I have serious reservations because of how something as seemingly innocuous as a group named "The Apples" cast such a shadow over my early education. I have no idea what a teacher might do or say to Caroline that would adversely affect her education. On the other hand, I struggle with being able to teach her everything she needs to know to be successful in life. I'm definitely not a perfect teacher, but I believe that I may be the best teacher for her.
*
*
*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From what I glean from earlier blog posts, your children are getting a more than fair amount of education at home. Whatever you choose will be the right choice since you are thinking so hard about it and really going into the decision in an informed and heartfelt way. Your children will be OK either way (it seems to me) because the positive things you do at home will not go away even after they go to school. Ease your mind with some optimism. There is probably an optimal decision, but not a bad one, on the table.

I'm a little surprised that in your day and age you were slowed down and asked to use your right hand early on. That sounds a bit archaic, like the age of our grandparents or something, when left-handedness carried a stigma. For the record I have always thought of both you and your husband as extremely intelligent people and always ahead of the game of life. Your contemplation of this issue with your kids certainly puts you in a high bracket, and I doubt there is a reader out there who would not classify you higher in plenty of other ways as well.

In other words, by many means, your children have great footsteps to follow in. Whether you decide to take more on yourself or send them to school early, they will have this predisposition to success, because they will have such wonderful examples at home.

Special K said...

I agree, you know what your limits are, what you are capable of doing, and what you want.

I personally had good and bad years in school. My son has been pretty stubborn as a student with me. Fine with crafts, not fine with anything of the "learning" variety. He has done fantastic in school. Makes me so happy! He's 5 and in his second year of preschool. I put him in school expecting help with certain areas, like social behaviors. And I'm in love with his school and can't wait to enroll his sister.

Hope you can find the perfect place for your kids- home or "abroad."

I too remember a less than par kindergarten experience. But first grade more than made up for it. The teacher still says nice things about me to my mom!

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites