Thursday, January 19, 2006

a broken nose

On Sunday morning, Caroline was in bed with us (nursing), which is the usual thing for us. When I was switching sides she sat up in the bed and promptly flung herself backwards. Todd, still very much asleep, was pounded in the nose by our one year old. I apologized profusely, not that I believed that it was really my fault, but just because I knew that it hurt. We laid there for another few minutes before Todd said "I know it's broken." Somehow, I knew it too.

Later that morning, he went to the ER and they took an X Ray and yes, it was definitely broken. His nose did not need to be straightened or anything, so they sent him home with some pain medicine. He seems to be doing well though.

We have had something of a rough week, this week. Caroline needs my full and complete attention while she is awake (most of the day) and refuses to allow me to sit on the couch or read a book. We have been playing with crayons and play-doh and paper hats to keep her happy. She likes to eat the play doh and crayons and when you make her a paper hat, she says "hat" pretty clearly. I have been trying to keep her entertained, but it is really draining to entertain a 1-year old that has no concept of imagination. While I am sure that she will acquire these skills soon, she does not really "play" very much yet. One game that she enjoys is taking blocks out of one container and putting them in another container. I'm not certain how this is entertaining, but it will occupy her for 30 minutes or until I pick up a book to read (whichever comes first). If I dare to sit on the couch, all hell breaks loose and she lays on the floor and screams. I think I need to throw the couch away.

Sigh.

1 comment:

Maggie's Attic said...

Of course it's broken. My own nose was broken by Todd's brother when he was 8 months old (that would make Todd 24 months.) Baby was sitting in my lap / I leaned down to kiss his little bald head / he happened to "rear back" his head and... bonk! Did not get an x-ray - did not need one. Two minor black eyes for a week or so -- very sore. Today I have a tiny hump at the bridge of my nose. Parenthood!

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

My Favorite Websites