Friday, February 25, 2005

Baby slings, what works, what doesn't

I have now tried 4 baby slings. You may wonder, why does one person need 4 slings? Well, finding a baby sling that agrees with you and the baby is not necessarily easy. There are two basic types of slings. The first type carries the baby out in front. This type is the most common here in New York. The second type is far more common thoughout the world, but used much less here in NYC.

The Baby Bjorn: I have a love-hate relationship with this carrier. I like the concept, but the weight isn't evenly spread across the back so after 15 minutes or so, it becomes rather painful. As far as Caroline's preferences, I think she feels a bit awkward in the carrier. She's too young to face forward, but she really likes to look around. And the way the carrier is designed, she has to keep her head against my chest and she cannot look around very much. At $120, I wish I looked further before buying this carrier. This carrier is not suitable for breastfeeding.

The Maya Wrap: This is a very versatile carrier. Caroline really seemed to like this one. Mine was actually too small for me, but had it been larger, I would have used it more. The only problem with this carrier is that the metal rings can be very uncomfortable on your shoulders or upper back. There is no padding on this carrier, which I think it a downside. It is possible to breastfeed discretely in this sling, which is very nice.

The Premaxx carrier is a total disaster. It has padding on the bottom, where the baby sits and no padding whatsoever on the strap that goes around your body. It is sort of like a duffel bag for a baby. I really don't understand the thinking behind this one. Bottom line, don't buy it (unless you want mine!).

The Nojo sling has been the best so far. It functions like the Maya Wrap, but is padded. I have really liked it so far. The sling is versatile and comfortable for both me and Caroline. Unfortunately, it is also the most unattractive of the slings. Mine is gray, which I don't mind too much. This sling is endorsed by Dr. Sears (must be good then, right?).

If you are in the market for a sling, my suggestion is to try the Nojo sling first and see how that works.

No comments:

My Lucky Charms

My Lucky Charms

Blog Archive

My Favorite Websites